Saturday, October 17, 2009

A Belated Congratulations

I fear I have been most remiss in my blogging duties.

On August 25, 2009, Charles Burnett III successfully broke the land speed record for a steam powered car with an average speed of 139.843 mph on his two runs over the measured mile. The previous record had stood since 1906.

The following day Don Wales set another land speed record for a steam powered car, the record for a measured kilometre with an average speed of 148.308 mph on two runs.



My congratulations to the British Steam Car Challenge Team. A job well done!

I am saddened to report that my own challenge to the record has met with some severe setbacks. In addition to a lack of appropriate venues in world for such an attempt it seems that the FIA has no methodology for verifying virtual speed records, assuming virtual speed could even be translated accurately into real miles or kilometres per hour.

On the other hand the building of the Spirit of Caledon did stretch my building skills a bit so the effort was not for naught. And with a bit of luck the burns from scalding will heal soon.

1 comment:

Aunt Foggy said...

I do hope your burns have healed. If you still feel the need for speed, I would direct you to Wrath Constantine's Iron Cloud on Middlesea. Much racing and quite a bit of exploding is going on there now!